Science, Comics, Music, Humor!

T-Shirts for sale.

Buy my t-shirts

Monday, July 03, 2006

I'm not too old, they're not too loud!

Last night I went to what should have been the loudest concert I've ever gone to, but the levels were just right. I saw Lightning Bolt and The Boredoms at Webster Hall Sunday night and it was in all honesty the best show I've ever been in attendance of. Lightning Bolt played out on the floor in sea of sweat and humanity.

Chippendale was smashing away at the drums like a shark on a line while Gibson calmly stood back and bust out the licks on banjo and bass strings. At the point It seemed like the greatest feet of endurance as the went from song to song seamlessly at a breakneck pace, that is till the Boredoms came out on stage.

Yamatsuka eYe walked on stage with a background of faux stars and in his hands were what I like to call Van De Graph marracai. They were two orbs which when shook, placed close together, or moved at rapid speed would light up and emit a wave-like white noise. Then the lights got brighter and I notice their were not two drum sets but three drum sets in a circle. The sound could only be described by imagining the Muppet show House band if it consisted of three Animals trained as taiko drummers led by a dreaded Doctor Teeth possessed by a thousand demons from the land of wind and ghost. Yamasuka spent the rest of the show either behind a stack of synths manning the modulation and volume wheels like a epileptic mission control spaz and jumping in and of the circle of drums screaming, crooning, and going in and out of trance. After 20+ minutes of steady drumming the female drummer turned around and proceeded to recite every oh and ah from Ella Fitzgerald songbook, then went back to drumming the spun around and played keyboards, wha?!?!?! If I can put my had around what I heard and saw any better I'll post it later this week.

3 comments:

Justin Fox said...

Wow. That sounds really cool. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry I missed it, but someday you'll come to my place and see it wasn't all worth it. What?

Marcos Perez said...

what?

Justin Fox said...

I pass on show to do the house